As the holiday season approaches, many of us are looking forward to spending time with family and friends, exchanging gifts, and enjoying festive meals. While it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of the season, it's important to remember the true spirit of the holidays - giving back.
Truman Heartland Community Foundation is here to help you make the most of your year-end charitable giving. Here are some key dates and recommended strategies for maximizing the impact of your year-end donations:
- If you're planning to donate gifts of appreciated stock or securities, it's recommended that you initiate the transfer by December 23, 2023. It's best to notify your Professional Advisor of the transfer as soon as possible, as the request may take several days to process.
- If you plan to send checks via postal mail or carriers such as FedEx, UPS, or DHL, they must be postmarked on or before December 31, 2023.
- The charities you choose must receive Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) from your IRA by December 31, 2023. Starting the process early is highly recommended!
- If you're planning to make wire transfers of cash, they must be initiated by December 27, 2023.
- Credit card gifts can be made by phone or online until December 31, 2023.
- If you are a THCF fundholder and want to make year-end grant recommendations, please do so in your Donor Portal by noon on December 12, 2023. Making your designations by this date will ensure enough time for the Foundation staff to process your request and get your donation checks mailed before the end of the year.
THCF accepts various assets, including cash, stocks, real estate, or other appreciated assets. If you have a unique asset or have any questions about the timing of your donations, feel free to reach out to our Vice-President of Advancement, Cole Eason, who would be happy to help guide you based on your situation and goals.
November is the perfect time to reflect on the positive impact we all can make in our communities. Remember, every little bit counts and your contributions at year-end can make a significant difference in the lives of individuals and families throughout the region. By partnering with Truman Heartland Community Foundation for your year-end giving, you can take an active role in supporting the causes you care about most.
Let's make this holiday season a time of giving, gratitude, and generosity!