Empowering Students - Changing Communities
Youth Advisory Council (YAC) was formed in 1998 as the Foundation’s first strategic initiative. YAC is our “school of philanthropy,” where members learn about fundraising, grantmaking, volunteerism, and community service. High school students from throughout Eastern Jackson County work together to make a difference in our communities.
Blue Springs South
Lee’s Summit North
Lee’s Summit West
THCF welcomes the formation and participation of other school districts in the area. Email us and let's discuss what we can do to make it happen.
Activities & Impact
- Review competitive grant proposals from local nonprofits and participate in on-site visits, helping the THCF grants committee make overall funding decisions.
- Plan and organize an annual fundraiser to add the proceeds to the YAC Endowment Fund.
- Take an active role in the THCF grantmaking process by reading, reviewing, and scoring select proposals and then collectively choosing which local nonprofits will receive grants from the YAC Endowment Fund.
- Gain hands-on experience volunteering with potential and current competitive grant recipients and become inspired to pursue their volunteering ambitions.
- Organize and volunteer at the Fill Those Trucks annual food drive event, providing much-needed assistance to several local food pantries.
- Take on a leadership role. Each school has 2 or more Team Leaders who organize team meetings and service opportunities and set the direction of crucial YAC initiatives.
- Attend monthly meetings to collaborate with peers from throughout the area to make it all happen.
- YAC members meet every 3rd Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m.
- YAC Team Leaders meet on the 1st Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m.
Ready to Invest in YAC?
You can support YAC through the Foundation Fan Club or by contributing directly to the YAC Endowment or a Scholarship Fund.
"I absolutely love this program. The ability to give back to the community and practice philanthropy is really like no other."
- 2023 YAC Student
Diana Castillo is here to help, email or call (816) 912-4184.