Music was Vern Sinclair’s passion and a part of his life starting as a young boy. He was an accomplished musician with a Master of Music degree in organ and French horn from the University of Michigan. Vern directed bands and choirs, taught private lessons, played in the Independence Symphony Orchestra (now Heritage Philharmonic) for 60 years, and occasionally joined the Kansas City Symphony at the Starlight Theatre. Vern also played the organ for his church for 60 years. Vern was supported in his life-long musical endeavors by his wife, Ruthel. This scholarship was established by their family to honor their memory and musical legacy.
- Must be a graduating senior from the Independence School District or Center Place Restoration School;
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in vocal or instrumental music at any accredited four-year college or university;
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0;
- Must have demonstrated involvement in music and community service activities;
- Preference may be given to members of the RLDS Restoration Church.
Up to $1,200 per academic year.
This is not a renewable scholarship.
General applications and additional requirements are due February 24.
Please note that the general application requires transcripts showing grades from Fall Semester 2022. Any applications submitted with transcripts omitting Fall Semester 2022 will not be considered. We recommend getting started on your application as soon as you have received your Fall Semester 2022 transcripts so you have time to prepare the additional requirements.
- A typed essay of approximately 500 words elaborating on your educational and career goals and why you feel you should receive this scholarship. Include your church affiliation in the essay.
- A reference letter from a supervisor of an activity that is included in the resume submitted as part of the application.