Norman Humphrey was a beloved husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather. He was also an active member of the Independence community. In addition to being a founding partner of the law firm of Humphry, Farrington and McClain, Norm held leadership positions in the Independence Host Lions Club, Independence Rotary Club, Eastern Jackson County Bar Association, Independence YMCA, Independence Board of Education, and Independence Regional Hospital Board. Education was very important to Norm, and he volunteered as a reading mentor at Proctor Elementary School. This scholarship was established by his family and friends to honor his memory and benefit graduates of the Independence School District.
- Must be a graduating high school senior from the Independence School District;
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree or certification program at any technical institution, junior college, college or university;
- Must have participation in non-athletic competitive activities (e.g. Debate, Scholar Bowl, musical performance);
- Must have demonstrated financial need;
- Must have demonstrated Intellectual curiosity and broad academic interests;
- Must have demonstrated community service participation.
Up to $1,000 per academic year.
Yes, this scholarship can be renewed for three additional years of funding. A renewal application must be submitted with proof of continuing college enrollment and a minimum college cumulative GPA of 2.5.
General applications and additional requirements are due February 24.
Please note that the general application requires transcripts showing grades from Fall Semester 2022. Any applications submitted with transcripts omitting Fall Semester 2022 will not be considered. We recommend getting started on your application as soon as you have received your Fall Semester 2022 transcripts so you have time to prepare the additional requirements.
- A typed essay of approximately 500 words elaborating on your personal qualities and goals for the future.
- A reference letter from a supervisor of an activity included in the resume submitted as part of the application.