Jason Stone attended Blue Springs schools and graduated from Eastern Jackson County Alternative High School in 1993. Throughout his 31 years, he was an artist and poet. Jason had a sweet smile and steadfast courage in the face of adversity. He was a curious person, and when something caught his imagination, he immersed himself in it. His kind and gentle spirit touched all who knew him. His art and poetry embody a full, complex and profound life. His family has established this scholarship as a lasting legacy to honor Jason’s extraordinary talent and to inspire future artists and poets for years to come.
New Room, by Jason Stone
The wind howls
as I paint a tornado of color,
dark shaded circles of red and purple.
Twirling and tumbling across the walls,
floor and ceiling.
My soul being warm would be the feeling.
Color and designs
Would overwhelm the viewer
as it would be a shrine
to the human spirit and its potential.
With windows comparing
and contrasting its form
a new room would be born.
- Must be a graduating senior from any public high school in Independence, Blue Springs, Fort Osage or Lee’s Summit, Missouri, school districts;
- Must be pursuing a visual art or art education undergraduate degree at any accredited junior college, college or university;
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0;
Up to $1,000 per academic year.
Yes, this scholarship can be renewed for three additional years of funding. A renewal application must be submitted with proof of continuing college enrollment in art and a minimum college cumulative GPA of 3.0.
General applications and additional requirements are due February 24.
Please note that the general application requires transcripts showing grades from Fall Semester 2022. Any applications submitted with transcripts omitting Fall Semester 2022 will not be considered. We recommend getting started on your application as soon as you have received your Fall Semester 2022 transcripts so you have time to prepare the additional requirements.
- Personal essay of approximately 500 words about your future career plans.
- One original art piece.
- Short statement about why you chose the piece you submitted and what it took to create it.
- Personal reference from a supervisor or teacher in your creative field.
- A second personal reference, if you choose.