Emily Kirk graduated from Blue Valley West High School in 2019. After taking anatomy and participating in the CAPS program, she earned her CNA through the CAPS Clinical Experiences class and went on to work as a CNA at a local nursing home, solidifying her plan to become a nurse.
Emily attended University of Missouri- Columbia, majoring in nursing and working as a CNA in the neurology department at a university hospital. She was active in the Phi Beta Phi sorority, the Catholic Newman Center, CARS elementary school reading volunteer program, and the campus nursing club. Emily was a sophomore when she passed away suddenly on December 11, 2020, from a pulmonary embolism.
Emily was a very compassionate person, always seeking to connect with and help others, including her friends, family, and patients. Her family and friends established this scholarship to honor her memory and support others in achieving a degree in the medical field.
- Must be a graduating senior from Blue Valley West High School in Overland Park, Kansas;
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in nursing or any medical field at any accredited four-year college or university;
- Must have demonstrated financial need.
Up to $1,000 per academic year.
This is not a renewable scholarship.
- A typed essay of approximately 500 words elaborating on your educational and career goals and why you feel you should receive this scholarship;
- A reference letter from a supervisor of an activity that is included in the resume submitted as part of the application.
General applications and additional requirements are due February 24.
Please note that the general application requires transcripts showing grades from Fall Semester 2022. Any applications submitted with transcripts omitting Fall Semester 2022 will not be considered. We recommend getting started on your application as soon as you have received your Fall Semester 2022 transcripts so you have time to prepare the additional requirements.