The Association for Industrial Development (AID) was established in 1970 with the mission of stimulating economic development by creating infrastructure to attract manufacturing business to Independence. During its tenure, the Association acquired land and developed two industrial parks on Truman Road, adding businesses and jobs to the community. Proceeds of the Association’s work were used to establish a scholarship to support Eastern Jackson County students enrolled in higher education and training programs to assure that a technically trained workforce continues to be available.
- Must be a current resident of Eastern Jackson County, Missouri;
- Must be a graduating high school senior from Independence, Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, Buckner, Grain Valley or Raytown schools or an employee of a business located in either of the Truman Road industrial parks in Independence;
- Must be pursuing a two or four-year undergraduate degree at any Metropolitan Community College campus or accredited college or university;
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 and demonstrated leadership capabilities;
- Financial need may be considered.
May be $500 – $1,000 per academic year.
Yes, this scholarship can be renewed for three additional years of funding. A renewal application must be submitted with proof of continuing college enrollment and a minimum college cumulative GPA of 2.5.
General applications and additional requirements are due February 24.
Please note that the general application requires transcripts showing grades from Fall Semester 2022. Any applications submitted with transcripts omitting Fall Semester 2022 will not be considered. We recommend getting started on your application as soon as you have received your Fall Semester 2022 transcripts so you have time to prepare the additional requirements.
- 3 personal references - 1 from a former teacher or educational representative, 1 from an adult friend (neighbor, employer, etc.), and 1 from a community member (pastor, scout leader, etc.)
- An essay (maximum 500 words) describing your interests, accomplishments, future education plans and why you feel you should receive this scholarship.